Saturday, April 25, 2015

Spring Breakers Part 1

   
    Rather then tanning myself on some Mexican beach and then living out a Pitbull music video, I instead spent my lovely week free of school work preparing for my final Science Olympiad competition and, of course, doing some genuine naturalisting.    

4/4/15

    As the well-needed break started, my parents decided to go to take me to the Palo Alto Foothills, surprisingly our first trip there of the year. When we arrived at the lovely location, I first checked the Oak Glen Picnic Area for any migrants as last year that spot seemed to be a decent area for a number of species. However, my search yielded only the year-round birds so then we headed into Wildhorse Valley. 

Lovely pair of Sara Orangetips, with the flying male possessing bright orange (duh) tips and the perched female possessing tips with a somewhat more muted yellowish shade.

Another male coming in to squabble 

Leptarctia californiae, a lovely diurnal tiger moth. Day-flying moths in general are sort of the epitome of what I want to be: not going by the rules and on the attractive side.

Mixed Wildflowers with California Poppy, some species of Lupine, and Fiddleneck.

Male Acmon Blue

Chalcedon Checkerspot, an extremely variable species

     We then walked onto a trail into some wooded area. In a patch of Ocean Spray (Holodiscus discolor) and Poison Oak, I was greeted by some fascinating insect life.

Some Tachinid fly. Not sure the exact species but it appears to be Epalpus signifer.

I first spotted this insect in flight and had no idea what it was, seeing only a blur of antennae waving wildly in the air. It then landed on the backside of a leaf, continuing to only give me views of its antennae and leading me to think that it was some sort of long-horned beetle. Finally, it flew off and landed again, revealing its true identity as Adela septentrionella, a beautiful fairy longhorn moth. Like the tiger moth earlier, this species is day-flying.

One of the pair (?) of Red-tailed Hawks soaring over Wildhorse Valley.

Fields of blue

The lovely state grass of California: Purple Needle Grass (Nassella pulchra).

California Maidenhair Fern (Adiantum jordanii)

As we walked out of Wildhorse Valley back towards the picnic area parking lot, I noticed a white lepidopteran among the plentiful Common Ringlets that had a significantly different flight pattern. As it landed, I took this picture through the vegetation, revealing it to be a species of looper moth, Caenurgia togataria.

    Several years back when I was a young and foolish minor, I had stumbled across a sizeable colony of Striped Coralroot Orchids in a section of the trail. However, that day as we walked over to that area, the only orchid found was the non-native Epipactis helleborine. I really hope the colony of the nonphotosynthetic gems from my youthful days did not peter out over the last few years. 

Indian Paintbrush - Castilleja affinis. Earlier, I had seen decent stands of Woolly Indian Paintbrush (C. foliolosa) as we drove up to the park.

Sticky Monkeyflower (Mimulus aurantiacus)

Flawless water landing of a Double-crested Cormorant.

4/9/15

    5:00 am and my alarm rung. I woke up and quickly picked up my backpack and lunch I made the night before. Then, as I reached my bike, I realized that the back tire was completely flat... Too tired to make the repairs and also not too familiar with the procedure, I decided that I would just go back to sleep. While closing the garage door, some animal (probably a raccoon) gave a blood-piercing shriek that filled the cold, dark air.

4/10/15

     On the 10th, a few very intelligent friends of mine from the Science Olympiad team decided to go on a nature walk with me at the Foothills. We arrived a little past 9 am and essentially went the same path that I walked on the 4th.

Morning dew on the grasses.

Frosty lupines

At the Ocean Spray patch, in addition to seeing the Adela moths again, I spotted this interesting spider. Looks like some sort of Trashline Orbweaver

Blooming invasive Wild Oats (Avena fatua). 

Milk Maids - Cardamine californica. It's always nice to see a crucifer that's not an invasive mustard.

False Solomon's Seal - Maianthemum racemosa.

California Newt! The individual was clambering into the vegetation around 10 feet away from a small stream. Pity that this was the only native amphibian of the day.

The dainty Woodland Star (Trientalis latifolia).

Western Columbine (Aquilegia formosa) blossom dangling over a stream.

A patch of Common Trillium (Trillium chloropetalum)

My first opened California Buckeye (Aesculus californica) flower and probably last Western Houndstongue (Cynoglossum grande) flower seen for the year.

Pedilus inconspicuus - rather conspicuous little beetle if I do say so myself.

Botta's Pocket-gopher excavating its burrow and peeping its head out for a split second. The ones in Golden Gate Park are so much more cooperative.

As we walked out of Wildhorse Valley back towards the picnic area parking lot (isn't this familar?), I noticed this gigantic beetle clambering across the trail. The distinctive golden hairs on the undersides of the leg reveal this insect to be in the genus Coelocnemis, and of that genus, this individual represents the California Broad-necked Darkling Beetle (C. californica). Several times while we photographed this wondrous creature, it briefly went into what I believe was "defensive mode", sticking its head towards the ground and lifting its abdomen. Although the insect did not release anything, it probably would have done what some of its relatives do in secreting foul-smelling chemicals if we had gotten closer.

    I then decided to check the area mentioned earlier for orchids but alas, none were found. I did, however, get my first and only year-bird of the day.

Pacific-slope Flycatcher, first heard singing from within the willows.

Tomcat Clover - Trifolium willdenovii

Douglas' Iris - Iris douglasiana

Mountain-mahogany Moth (Ethmia discotrigella)

Farewell To Spring - Clarkia gracilis.

Tule Bluet

Syrphid Fly (Lapposyrphus lapponicus?) on Common Flax (Linum usitatissimum)

From left to right: photogenic youngest, content middle child, brooding teenager.

Skeletonizing Leaf Beetle (Trirhabda flavolimbata) on its preferred host of Coyotebush.

Northern Checkerspot

A quite worn Anise Swallowtail at Vista Hill. 

    After that really not physically exhausting morning, our physically exhausted group migrated to Tofu House and gorged ourselves on way too much Korean food. It was a great day. Until next time, enjoy life and love nature!































No comments:

Post a Comment